Monday, January 15, 2018

Put an egg on it

I'm a pretty boring breakfast girl - either fruit with almond butter or a bowl of oatmeal. I'm developing a love of eggs again and one of my goals for fixing up my diet is to eat more veggies. I'm fairly good with my intake, usually in the 3-5 servings per day range, but I want to be consistent in getting 5 or more daily servings. Breakfast seemed like an easy place to start. I always have bags of frozen veggies or a bunch of leftover veggies from dinner and eggs, so my new favorite breakfast is a bowl of sautéed veggies with an over easy egg and some hot sauce. Since this is painfully simple to make (cook egg, heat veggies, combine, eat), I thought I'd share some egg facts with you instead of a recipe. A large egg has:

  • 70-75 calories
  • 6 grams of high quality protein
  • 4.5 grams of fat
  • Vitamin D, supporting bone health
  • Lutein, an antioxidant that reduces the incidence of age related macular degeneration
  • Choline, which plays a part in liver function and brain development
  • Vitamins, minerals, and bonus nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids based on the chicken's feed.
As an added bonus, they're cheap and versatile. And, just in case you have that voice in the back of your head about cholesterol, don't fret. Yes, eggs have cholesterol and not a small amount, but we know that blood cholesterol is not impacted by dietary cholesterol, so this shouldn't deter you. The mix of protein and fat will keep you feeling satisfied all morning. And, having this for breakfast means you're easily knocking out at least one of your 5 daily fruits and veg! 

No comments:

Post a Comment