Monday, January 8, 2018

This is your body off exercise

So, it's been ages since I've hit the gym on a regular basis and at least a month and a half since I was there at all. I've signed up for a small group personal training session - twice weekly TRX. I loooooved TRX when I did it before. If you're not familiar, it's suspension training and it kicks your ass. Should I be starting with something like this? I have no idea, but I know I need to have good reason right now to get out of bed (what's up polar vortex!) for a 6:30 am workout and paying for small group training seemed like good motivation!

Since it's been so long since I've worked out, I thought I'd do a little research into what happens to our bodies when we forgo exercise. The short answer is nothing good...

Within 2 weeks:
  • Loss of endurance as measured by VO2 max (the maximum amount of oxygen you can use in one minute of maximal exercise).
  • Increased blood glucose levels.
  • Increased blood pressure.
  • Decreased strength.
  • Tiredness, grumpiness, even memory loss.
Within 4 to 8 weeks:
  • Gain in total body fat.
  • Increased body weight.
  • Increased waist circumference (a predictor of heart disease and type 2 diabetes).
The good news is that some of these can be reversed immediately. We all feel a mood boost after a workout and get a better night's sleep. And, don't hide it, you know you walk out of the gym feeling like hot stuff after a workout! Please note: if you are sick or injured or have a legit reason that exercise is not healthy for you at this point in your life, respect that and stay healthy. All the rest of us, let's get out there and do something today!

No comments:

Post a Comment